Wasoko (“people of the market” in Swahili) is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. We are East Africa’s biggest digitized retail distribution platform powered by our own in-house logistics network. Tens of thousands of informal retailers across six countries (Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Ivory Coast and Senegal) use Wasoko to order everyday essential goods and receive working capital financing.
The informal retailers of Africa today are the primary if not the only channel used by consumers to purchase essential goods worth over $600 billion per year. The fragmented infrastructure across large land mass, distributed but diverse population and rather a smaller basket size spend does not yet lend themselves to big basket retail or mass consumer e-commerce. Instead, the informal retail ecosystem is THE channel for building the plumbing for digital and consumer commerce across Africa.k
This is Wasoko’s opportunity. Wasoko with its brand, scale and logistics network is best positioned to build the technology-leveraged rails to serve the 1+ billion African consumers through informal retailers. We are building a digital-first operating system for informal retailers, focusing initially on B2B distribution but quickly incorporating a host of other tools and services to help communities across Africa get more for less.
Role: Total Reward Associate
Reports To: Global Head of People
Location: Nairobi- Kenya, Dar es Salaam- Tanzania, Kampala-Uganda, Kigali- Rwanda, Lusaka-Zambia,
The total reward Associate is responsible for supporting the payroll function of Wasoko in different countries. This includes processing payroll transactions, managing payroll records, and ensuring that payroll is accurate and on time. The role will also include a focus on total rewards, including compensation and benefits management, as well as supporting HR with other total rewards programs.
● People Team
● Finance Team
● Management Team
● Payroll software providers
● Local authorities in charge of remittance
● Process payroll transactions, including data entry, reconciliations, and payroll reporting, ensuring accuracy and timeliness
● Maintain payroll records and files, including employee data, pay rates, and benefits information
● Assist with the preparation and processing of payroll tax returns and compliance with the respective government regulations
● Work closely with the People Operations team and finance to manage benefits programs and ensure accurate processing of employee benefits
● Develop and maintain relationships with external vendors, such as benefits providers and payroll processing companies
● Manage employee compensation data and analysis, including salary and bonus calculations, benchmarking, and pay equity analysis
● Direct salary benchmarking and annual salary reviews
● Administer total rewards programs, such as wellness initiatives and recognition programs, ensuring compliance and effectiveness
● Provide support to the People Operations team on other HR programs and initiatives as needed
● Keep abreast of changes in payroll and compensation regulations and best practices to ensure compliance and effective program management
● 4+ years of experience in payroll processing and compensation management
● Bachelor's degree in HR, Accounting, or a related field
● Knowledge of payroll software and systems, and proficiency in google spreadsheets.
● Strong attention to detail and accuracy in processing and reporting payroll data
● Knowledge of total rewards management, including benefits administration and compensation analysis
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with People Operations, finance, and external vendors
● Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and integrity in all payroll and compensation matters
● Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to manage complex data and compensation calculations