Wasoko is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small merchants to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services previously unavailable to informal businesses. Wasoko aims to provide everything a retailer needs; no distributors or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across East and West Africa use Wasoko’s mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Role: Director, Regional Transportation
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
About the Role
This position is a key member of the leadership team responsible for overseeing Transport operations across the region. The role will be the custodian of Health & Safety and accountable for inventory integrity, 3PL Management and the First, Middle and Last Mile of goods with the objective to develop a customer-centric culture in all that we do within our Transportation Network.
Reporting to: Head of Logistics Operations
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure superior customer experience through a perfect order that is delivered in full and is on time.
- Oversee a Transportation Network serving 50 Warehouses across 6 Countries with 15% - 20% Growth MOM
- Lead and Educate Country and Branch Managers in identifying key performance improvement indicators, targeting opportunities for improvement, adopting best practice processes and successfully executing improvement initiatives.
- Build a delivery fleet of full time and 3rd party drivers and the tools / processes necessary to recruit, manage, train and retain this driver community.
- Ensure that the performance goals are set and achieved, through the proper execution of performance metrics as it relates to Safety, Quality, Productivity and Customer Service.
- Ensure the company’s physical assets (vehicles, equipment, inventory, etc.) are properly controlled, maintained, protected and utilized. Drive process improvements to continually improve fulfilment efficiencies.
- Own the overall performance visibility for the Transport team versus targets set m-o-m/ q-o-q. Engage closely with initiative owners to ensure target completion can be achieved on time.
- Degree (Bachelor/Masters) in Supply Chain Management, Project Management, Business, Logistics Operations, or related field
- 8-10+ years of experience in Operations Management, Logistics & General Management with a data-driven and analytical focus
- A good understanding of fulfilment center and transport operations with a regional span of control
- Track record of leading and inspiring a team of individuals to work collaboratively and continuously improve results
- Solid team player with a Customer First mindset
- Strong attention to detail, analytical mindset and systematic problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated and desire to learn and seek new challenges
- Ability to influence others, including key stakeholders in the wider business
- Power BI/Tableau Proficiency advantageous
- WMS - Manhattan Scale or similar proficiency advantageous
- LMS - LogiNext or similar proficiency advantageous