Wasoko is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small shops to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services previously unavailable to informal businesses. Wasoko aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no wholesalers or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Cote d’Ivoire, Senegal and Rwanda use Wasoko's mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Role: Director of Total Reward reporting to VP of People
We're looking for an exceptional leader who is excited to shape our vision of becoming an employer of choice in Africa with our rapidly growing team of 1000+ staff. Your primary goal will be creating a total reward experience that attracts, retains, and grows the best talent for our company. We are seeking someone who is passionate about people, and inspired by our mission to empower local entrepreneurs and transform retail across Africa.
East Africa (Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania)
West Africa (Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Senegal
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop a competitive total rewards strategy to support Wasoko’s mission and business goals
- Direct all design and implementation of our total rewards programs and policies
- Develop communication strategies and success metrics relating to total rewards
- Evaluate the effectiveness of existing compensation and benefits, cost effectiveness and alignment with company goals and values
- Ensure compliance with all governmental regulations related to compensation and benefits.
- Utilize a data driven approach to identify trends and recommend proactive solutions to attract and retain the right talent.
- Direct salary benchmarking and annual salary reviews
- Develop a compensation model for all roles and levels train people managers across the entire organization.
- Provide leadership to the total rewards team through effective coaching and performance management
- Advise senior leaders across the organization on trends within our markets
The successful candidate will possess:
- 7+ years of leadership experience in a People / HR role, (recent experience expanding and managing People Operations at a high-growth start-up a plus).
- Minimum 4+ years experience in a leadership role focused on the design and implementation of complex total rewards programs
- Experience supporting a fast growing workforce of 1000+ employees across multiple geographies
- Bachelor's degree required, Master’s degree or related certifications are a plus.
- Great attention to detail
- Strong communicator with the ability to provide both strategic foresight and feedback across all levels of employees
- Ability to professionally handle confidential information
- Strong EQ and ability to influence decisions
- Regional experience within Africa
- Previous experience working in fast-paced, decentralized environments; experience helping organizations scale
- French proficiency a bonus