Wasoko is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small shops to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services that were previously unavailable. Wasoko aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no wholesalers or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Rwanda use Wasoko's mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Position: Cross Border Trade Developer
Wasoko is looking for a highly motivated and experienced Trade Developer to join our team and lead our expansion into new markets. As a Trade Specialist, your primary responsibility will be to develop and execute strategic plans to establish and grow our cross border trade operations. Your focus will be on creating a pipeline of customers and building strong relationships with key stakeholders in the commodities market. You will also work with various internal company stakeholders such as Logistics and Finance to coordinate everyone effectively for the success of cross border operations.
Location: Gisenyi, Goma, Bukavu, Rwanda
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Market Research and Analysis:
- Conduct thorough market research to identify potential buyers and partners in frontier markets
- Analyze market trends, competitor activities, and customer preferences to identify business opportunities and gain a competitive edge
- Identify and evaluate potential risks and challenges associated with operating in the commodities market
- Business Development:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive business development strategy to expand our market share and increase sales of commodities to customers in the new frontier markets added to the portfolio.
- Build and maintain a strong network of customers and other relevant stakeholders in these markets.
- Identify and pursue new business opportunities, negotiate contracts, and close deals with prospective customers.
- Collaborate with internal teams to ensure smooth execution of contracts and timely delivery of commodities to customers.
- Monitor market dynamics and provide timely feedback to the management team regarding changing customer needs, market trends, and competitive activities.
- External and Internal Relationship Management:
- Build, nurture and strengthen a strong pipeline of relationships with customers, ensuring their satisfaction and loyalty to our company.
- Identify and establish partnerships with local organizations, industry associations, and government agencies to enhance market presence and facilitate business growth.
- Represent the company at industry events, conferences, and trade shows to promote our brand and generate new business leads.
- Work with various internal company stakeholders such as Logistics, Finance and all relevant team members to coordinate everyone effectively for the success of cross border operations.
- Reporting and Documentation:
- Maintain accurate records of business development activities, sales performance, and market intelligence.
- Prepare regular reports and presentations for the management team, highlighting key achievements, challenges, and recommendations.
- Overall ownership of cross border operations in the region
- Work with all team members cross functionally towards the success of cross border trade operations end to end.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, marketing, or a related field.
- Proven experience in business development, market research, or related roles, preferably in the commodities trading industry.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to interpret market data and identify growth opportunities.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and presentation skills.
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with customers, and other stakeholders.
- Swahili, Kinyarwanda and English needed.