Wasoko is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small shops to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services that were previously unavailable. Wasoko aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no wholesalers, or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Cote d’Ivoire, Senegal, Zambia and Rwanda use Wasoko's mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Position: Senior Software Engineer (DevOps)
You have a deep interest in and passion for technology. You love writing and owning codes and enjoy working with people who will keep challenging you at every stage. You have strong problem-solving, analytical, decision-making and excellent communication with interpersonal skills.
You are self-driven and motivated with the desire to work in a fast-paced, results-driven agile environment with varied responsibilities. You will also have to provide technical leadership and mentoring to a small team of highly talented and motivated engineers to deliver these solutions with the highest quality.
Locations: Bangalore India or Fumba, Zanzibar or Nairobi Kenya
- 6+ years prior experience in software product development and DevOps or TechOps.
- 3+ years prior experience in DevOps Automation
- Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology from premier institutes.
- Design, implement and evolve highly scalable and fault-tolerant distributed components using core DevOps principles.
- Hands-on experience in using Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Docker, and Kubernetes with proper metrics instrumentation in software components, to help facilitate real-time and remote troubleshooting/performance monitoring.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design and build automated code deployment systems that simplify development work and make our work more consistent and predictable.
- Work closely with Operations & Infrastructure teams, developers and other stakeholders for cross-functional development activities.
- Collaborate with the security team to implement and verify secure coding techniques, and integrate code security tools for Continuous Integration.
- Automated deployment, Continuous integration, Continuous delivery and release engineering to Development, QA and Production environments.
- Contribute to an efficient development process pipeline by leveraging best-in-class CI/CD tools.
- Lead developer productivity projects in the areas of environment automation.
- Experience with configuration automation tools (Puppet/Ansible/Chef/Salt).
- Experience with middleware and databases like Kafka, Aerospike, Cassandra, MySQL or similar.
- Responsible for the stability and high availability of environments by using automation and self-healing principles.
- Understand and own component security analysis, including code and data flow review.
- Championing & driving application, infrastructure & enterprise security efforts, certificate management etc.
- Design and implement APIs, abstractions and integration patterns to solve challenging distributed computing problems.
- Ensuring proper documentation and internal publishing of design tradeoffs, code best practices and lessons learned.
- Support in triaging and troubleshooting of highly distributed services in production environments.
- Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Leverage knowledge of internal and industry in design decisions.
- Mentor other engineers, define our technical culture, and help build a fast-growing team.
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
- Proven team leadership, interpersonal skills, and ability to get things done.
- 3+ years prior experience in DevOps Automation.
- Experience in handling native cloud infrastructure (RDMS, NoSQL, Networking, Compute Engines, Virtualization, Data Stores, Multi-layered Architectures, Proxies, Load balancing, API Gateways, Caching, CDN & other e-Commerce Stacks)
- Hands-on experience in Monitoring, Alerting, Log Management, Security, Availability, Performance, Web apps, Mobile Apps, Middleware & Microservices.
- Experience working on one or more large-scale applications/platforms
- Experience in handling complex production issues
Good to have.
- Knowledge of B2B & B2C retail eCommerce
- Experience developing, maintaining, and innovating large-scale, consumer-facing web applications.
- Experience in a newer Spring boot or any good framework.