Wasoko is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small merchants to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services previously unavailable to informal businesses. Wasoko aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no distributors, or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Cote d’Ivoire, Senegal, Zambia, Rwanda & Zanzibar use Wasoko's mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Position: Principal Software Engineer
We are looking for an individual who has a deep interest and passion for innovation, and quick technology prototyping and loves solving problems, designing, coding, and owning/validating small-scale hypotheses/pilots/projects while working with people who will keep challenging you at every stage. You also have strong problem-solving, analytical, decision-making, and excellent communication abilities with interpersonal skills.
You should be self-driven and motivated with the desire to work in a fast-paced, results-driven agile environment with varied responsibilities and also have to provide technical leadership and mentoring to a small team of highly talented and motivated engineers to deliver these solutions with the highest quality.
Location: Bangalore, India or Fumba, Zanzibar or Nairobi, Kenya
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Full Stack Engineering Member - Innovate (disruptive & continuous improvements) to the processes, systems, tools & products.
- Designing and building quick-function, scalable & simple working prototypes
- Serve as a technical lead on our most demanding, cross-functional innovation projects.
- Ability to clearly communicate high-level strategy and technical details effectively across disciplines, locations, and organizations, including senior leadership.
- Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straightforward solutions.
- Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Leverage knowledge of internal and industry in design decisions.
- Mentor other engineers, define our technical culture and help build a fast-growing team
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
- Proven team leadership, interpersonal skills, and ability to get things done
- 10+ years prior experience in software product, innovation & lab development.
- Masters / Degree in Computer Science or Related Field from premier institutes.
- Experience in a wide range of technology choices
- Strong experience in architecting and building distributed systems
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and designing for performance
- Strong knowledge of cloud technologies like AWS/Google Cloud/Azure
- Proficient with RDBMS & NoSQL Databases
- Strong knowledge of data stores, database design, data modelling, and SQL queries.
- Strong knowledge of one or more big data processing stacks
- Enforcing excellent code quality
- Experience working on one or more large-scale applications/platforms
- Driving Non-Functional Requirements
- Should be proficient in Server Side (Java/Linux/J2EE) technologies
- Experience in handling complex production issues
Good to have:
- Knowledge of B2B & B2C retail e-Commerce
- Experience developing, maintaining, and innovating large-scale, consumer-facing web applications.
- DevOps mindset.
- Experience in data science is plus
- Experience in Spring boot or any good framework.